Blood on the Snow: The Carpathian Winter War of 1915 - PDF free download eBook
Looking for file blood-the-snow-the-carpathian-winter.pdf to download for free? Use our search system and download ebook for computer, smartphone or online reading.
Details of Blood on the Snow: The Carpathian Winter War of 1915
- Exact title of book
- Blood on the Snow: The Carpathian Winter War of 1915
- Book author
- Graydon A. Tunstall
- Feb 22, 2012
- PDF, FB2, EPUB, MOBI
- File size (in PDF)
- 2448 kB
Some brief overview of book
The Carpathian campaign of 1915, described by some as the Stalingrad of the First World War, engaged the million-man armies of Austria-Hungary and Russia in fierce winter combat that drove them to the brink of annihilation. Habsburg forces fought to rescue 130,000 Austro-Hungarian soldiers trapped by Russian troops in Fortress Przemysl, but the campaign was waged under such adverse circumstances that it produced six times as many casualties as the number besieged. It remains one of the least understood and most devastating chapters of the war-a horrific episode only glimpsed previously but now vividly restored to the annals of history by Graydon Tunstall.
The campaign, consisting of three separate and ultimately doomed offensives, was the first example of total war conducted in a mountainous terrain, and it prepared the way for the great battle of Gorlice-Tarnow. Habsburg troops under Conrad von Htzendorf faced those of General Nikolai Ivanov, which together totaled more than two million soldiers. None of the participants were psychologically or materially prepared to engage in prolonged winter mountain warfare, and hundreds of thousands of soldiers suffered from frostbite or succumbed to the White Death.
Tunstall reconstructs the brutal environment-heavy snow, ice, dense fog, frigid winds-to depict fighting in which a man lasted on average between five to six weeks before he was killed, wounded, captured, or committed suicide. Meanwhile, soldiers warmed rifles over fires to make them operable and slaughtered thousands of horses just to ward off starvation. This riveting depiction of the Carpathian Winter War is the first book-length account of that vicious campaign, as well as the first English-language account of Eastern Front military operations in World War I in more than thirty years.
Based on exhaustive research in Viennas and Budapests War Archives, Tunstalls gripping narrative incorporates material drawn from eyewitness accounts, personal diaries, army logbooks, and correspondence among members of the high command. As Tunstall shows, the roots of the Habsburg collapse in Russia in 1916 lay squarely in the winter campaign of 1915. Packed with insights from previously unexploited primary sources, his book provides an engrossing readand the definitive account of the Carpathian Winter War.
Download Blood The Snow The Carpathian Winter as e-book
Press the button get download links and wait a little while. Using file-sharing servers API, our site will find the e-book file in various formats (such as PDF, EPUB and other). One button - all links for download in all e-book formats! Please do not reload the page during the search. A typical file search time is about 15-20 seconds.
Free service that helps find any e-book in automatic mode on private file-servers.
Small FAQ about download
- Book files are stored on servers owned by you?
- No. We do not store files, because it is prohibited. Our site uses the API of third-party sites that store files. That is, we are doing the same thing as Google, only within the framework of one subject. Third-party sites are multimedia services that allow you to read and download e-books. By subscribing, you get access to a huge library of multimedia content, which is updated daily. Services are fully optimized for all platforms - iOS, Android and PC.
- How time will the file be downloaded?
- Very fast. We regularly check (this is a fully automatic process) the availability of servers, the links to which we offer you. If the server does not provide a quick download, then we remove it from the list.
- Which format of file is better to download?
- Modern smartphones and computers can read files of any format. But the most compatible is the PDF format. For example, the blood-the-snow-the-carpathian-winter.pdf can be read in Mozilla Firefox or Chrome browser without any additions.
All downloaded files are checked
Continuous automatic checking and verification of file checksums ensures that there are no viruses or adware. Our system uses several antiviruses at once to fully guarantee the cleanliness of downloaded files.