F. E. Warren Air Force Base was originally established in 1867 as Fort D.
A. Russell Army Post to protect the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad. Infantry, cavalry, and artillery have all been stationed at the post.
In 1930, after the death of Francis E. Warren, the post was renamed Fort F. E.
Warren. The base has been continuously active and has never closed, even during the transfer from Army to Air Force in 1947. The post was the site of the Quartermaster School in the 1940s and became the Air Force Replacement Training Center in the 1950s.
Presently, the installation is, once again, protecting the United States through deterrence with 150 Minuteman III ICBMs.